I am pleased to announce that version 0.69 of Net::DNS is now available.
Besides many bug fixes this release now employs the architectural modifications enabling IDN support that were prepared for since 0.67. Owner names and domain name rdata fields may now be given in Unicode whereupon they will automatically be converted to IDN A-labels.
Other rdata field types have also been enriched:
- Rdata fields containing text may now also be provided in Unicode.
- Rdata fields referring to mailboxes may now be given in RFC822 format;
i.e. user@domain or name <user@domain>
- The rdata fields of the LOC resource record are now specified in actual (decimal) degrees, minutes and seconds.
Luis Muñoz has donated his Net::DNS::ZoneFile module. It is now included in the Net::DNS package. Thank you Luis. Net::DNS::ZoneFile now also benefits from the architectural improvements so that zone files read by the Net::DNS::ZoneFile module may contain Unicode in owner names and domain name rdata fields and the other rdata field type enrichments.
Other notable modifications in the interface are:
- Header extensions provided by the EDNS0 OPT resource record are now accessible transparently through the $packet‐>header interface. This includes the DO flag, extended response codes and UDP packet size.
- Packet decoding errors are now collected in the $@ ($EVAL_ERROR) variable. Before the error message was returned in the second item of the array returned when construction a Net::DNS::Packet in array context. Now that second argument contains the number of octets successfully decoded.
This makes packet decoding more robust and gives more refined control over the decoding process.
- The DNS parameters are now also provided in a separate module Net::DNS::Parameters.
Many thanks to Dick Franks who contributed all of the architectural improvements just described.
For a complete list of changes and bugfixes see the CHANGES file.